Refer to selection details for application information
These Commonwealth-funded scholarships aim to support Indigenous students with the costs of University study, particularly for those who face financial disadvantage and who are relocating from a remote or regional area.
Applications for 2019 are currently open at www.uac.edu.au/equity
Whether you are starting an enabling course, commencing your degree, or are a continuing student, please visit www.uac.edu.au/equity/and apply.
Your application will stay active through to our last offer rounds in July 2019, with opportunity to receive a scholarship in each round UON participates in. UAC will advise of final outcomes (if unsuccessful) by August 2019.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled or enrolling in any year of any Enabling, Undergraduate (Commonwealth Supported Place), or Postgraduate program with University of Newcastle.
- Demonstrate financial hardship by either by being in receipt of a means-tested Commonwealth income support payment (such as Austudy, ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance etc), or on the basis of a comprehensive assessment.
- Be of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, AND identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, AND be accepted as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander by the community in which you live or have lived.
- Must not have previously received the full entitlement of a Commonwealth Indigenous Scholarship awarded prior to 2017.
- If accepting the scholarship offer, must not have not received - or agrees to repay - a Student Start-up Loan, a Student Start-up Scholarship or a Relocation Scholarship or the Residential Costs option of ABSTUDY from Centrelink.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Please refer to UAC Application requirements.
The scholarship provides a benefit of a total of $3000 per annum to be paid in two equal instalments of $1500 following the Semester 1 and Semester 2 census dates.
A pro-rata payment of $750 will apply to semesters in which enrolment is part-time (10 or 20 units).
Midyear applicants will receive payment in semester 2 only and must reapply for the next academic year.
The advertised number of scholarships is indicative, based on prior years, and may increase if funding is available.
Applications for this scholarship are via UAC Equity Scholarships at www.uac.edu.au/equity/.
Selection is based on the information provided in the Equity Scholarship application and supporting documentation. Scholarship offers are made to applicants who best meet the scholarship criteria, with priority being given to severe financial hardship and students who are relocating from remote and regional areas.
To check whether your usual home residence is in a regional or remote area (RA2 to RA5), please search your postcode at www.doctorconnect.gov.au/internet/otd/publishing.nsf/Content/locator.