These Commonwealth-funded scholarships aim to support Indigenous students who are relocating from a remote or regional area to study with University of Newcastle.
Refer to selection details for application information
These Commonwealth-funded scholarships aim to support Indigenous students who are relocating from a remote or regional area to study with University of Newcastle. The scholarship is annual, with application via UAC Equity Scholarships www.uac.edu.au/equity/.
Applications for 2018 are currently open at www.uac.edu.au/equity
Whether you are starting an enabling course, commencing your degree, or are a continuing student, please visit www.uac.edu.au/equity/ and apply.
Your application will stay active through to our last offer rounds in July, with opportunity to receive a scholarship in each round UON participates in. UAC will advise of final outcomes (if unsuccessful) in August 2018.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled or enrolling in any year of any Enabling, Undergraduate (Commonwealth Supported Place), or Postgraduate program with University of Newcastle.
- Demonstrate financial hardship by either by being in receipt of a means-tested Commonwealth income support payment (such as Austudy, ABSTUDY, Youth Allowance etc), or on the basis of a comprehensive assessment.
- Be of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, AND identify as an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, AND be accepted as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander by the community in which you live or have lived.
- Be relocating from a remote, rural, or regional area to study with UON.
- If accepting the scholarship offer, must not have not received - or agrees to repay - a Student Start-up Loan, a Student Start-up Scholarship or a Relocation Scholarship or the Residential Costs option of ABSTUDY from Centrelink.
- Must not have previously received the full entitlement of a Commonwealth Indigenous Scholarship awarded prior to 2017.
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
- Please refer to UAC Application requirements.
The scholarship provides a benefit of a total of $5500 per annum to be paid in two equal instalments of $2750 following the Semester 1 and Semester 2 census dates.
A pro-rata payment of $1375 will apply to semesters in which enrolment is part-time (10 or 20 units).
Midyear applicants will receive payment in semester 2 only and must reapply for the next academic year.
Applications for this scholarship are via UAC Equity Scholarships at www.uac.edu.au/equity.
Selection is based on the information provided in the Equity Scholarship application and supporting documentation. Scholarship offers are made to applicants who best meet the Scholarship criteria, with priority being given to relocating students with severe financial hardship who are commencing in their first undergraduate degree. Preference may also be given to students relocating from Remote (RA4) and Very Remote (RA5) areas.
To check whether your usual home residence is in a regional or remote area (RA2 to RA5), please search your postcode here: www.doctorconnect.gov.au/internet/otd/publishing.nsf/Content/locator