Over the past decade, the Victorian Medical Insurance Agency Limited PSA Insurance have provided support for students in financial need from rural Victoria or outer-metropolitan Melbourne who would otherwise be unable to complete studies the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Doctor of Medicine (MD) at the University of Melbourne. The scholarships provide accommodation and board at a residential college or rural accommodation.
Each scholarship runs for a consecutive term of four (4) years with a progress review after two (2) years.
Up to $27,500 per annum to provide accommodation and board at residential college or rural acccomodation for the duration of the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) and Doctor of Medicine (MD) degrees.
Disclaimer: The benefit amount for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
Applicants must be applying for entry or have gained entry into the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) and Doctor of Medicine (MD) at the University of Melbourne, commencing in 2017 and satisfy the following criteria:
- Be an Australian citizen
- Be from rural, country or outer-metropolitan Victoria*
- Be able to demonstrate financially compelling circumstances in accordance with University policy:
- Provide documentary evidence of Centrelink means-tested income support receipt
- For students who believe they experience financial need but do not receive income support payments from Centrelink, provide evidence of financial need, including an explanation of the absence of support payments from Centrelink
*Outer-metropolitan Melbourne refers to locations in outer Melbourne whereby the distance travelled to and from the University of Melbourne results in significant time and monetary costs. Any students who may meet this criteria are encouraged to apply.
Download Selection criteria
Application forms will be available here prior to the open date.
A hard copy of the application form must be received by (or post-marked to) the Advancement and Communications Unit of the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences by 15 November 2017.
MDHS will ensure that before awarding a scholarship to recipients, the recipient signs (including electronically) an award acceptance form that will include agreeing to:
* Participating in a formal mentor or tutoring program where practical (and providing annual written certification of this participation from the organisation administering the program).
* Declaring any scholarships they are awarded over the value of $3,000 (at the time they are received) and acknowledging this may affect the amount of funding they will receive in future years from VMIAL.
* Committing to remain at the same college for the duration of their degree (except when on rural placement) unless exceptional circumstances exist as determined by the Faculty, after consultation with the donor.
Advancement Services Manager
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne
Telephone: +61 3 9035 6030
Recipients will be subject to a two year review incorporating academic performance and course progression, ongoing satisfaction of the selection criteria and details of college and University activities. Informal annual reporting to the VMIAL board will also include college and University activities.
Recipients are also expected to participate in a mentoring program at their college community to assist in the academic endeavours of junior students.
*Please note: if any other scholarship is received on top of the The PSA Insurance Medical Scholarship or The PSA Insurance Dental Scholarship it is a requirement of the scholarship to advise the Advancement and Communications Unit within the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences. This is to ensure that the recipient continues to meet the financial need criteria, and hence remains eligible for the VMIAL PSA Scholarship.