Up to five general Postgraduate scholarships are granted each year across all disciplines, to allow students undertaking an Australian PhD to undertake research in the U.S. as a...
Up to five general Postgraduate scholarships are granted each year across all disciplines, to allow students undertaking an Australian PhD to undertake research in the U.S. as a Visiting Research Student.
What are the benefits?
- Monthly stipend for living expenses
- Travel Allowance
- Establishment allowance
- ASPE medical insurance of up to A$100,000 (for the scholar only)
- National orientation program, showcase & gala presentation dinner
- Assistance with identifying and applying to host institutions via Placement Services
- In-country “gateway” orientation program, run by the IIE
- Enrichment Seminars in the United States with other international Fulbright scholars
- Access to a professional network of distinguished Australian and American Fulbright alumni
- Ongoing assistance from the Commission with visas, enrichment opportunities and pastoral care
- Media and publicity support
What are the conditions?
- Funding is stipend based and is for a maximum of ten months (eight months is the preferred minimum) – this includes for those undertaking full degree programs (see below for more details).
- Stipend is paid monthly and is pro-rata, i.e. it will be reduced for shorter programs
- Funding does not cover tuition fees
- Awardees must be admitted to a recognised host institution in order to take up the scholarship
- VSR awardees can work with multiple institutions but should be based at and spend the majority of their program with one primary host
- Awardees wishing to undertake degree programs which exceed the maximum ten months for which Fulbright funding is awarded must demonstrate sufficient additional funding to cover the costs of living and studying in the U.S. for the remainder of their program. Please note, the cost of obtaining a full postgraduate degree from a U.S. university is very high and must be considered carefully
- Awardees must demonstrate they have sufficient additional funds to support any accompanying dependents during their stay in the U.S.
- Please see General Award Terms and Conditions for more information