A unique opportunity is available for two outstanding Doctoral or Masters Scholars in the area of research and innovation to improve musculoskeletal health in Australia and internationally.
The scholarships are funded by the academic research group Musculoskeletal Health Sydney (MHS) within the School of Public Health, Sydney Medical School at the University of Sydney. MHS is a new academic research group with the University of Sydney's School of Public Health. The group is based at the King George V building in the Sydney Local Health District, Camperdown. Our focus is the promotion of musculoskeletal health and physical activity across the lifespan. Our vision is for better musculoskeletal health through healthy lifestyles and equitable access to patient-centred, evidence-based, and cost-effective health services. Our group currently comprises of 45 people, including world leaders in low back pain, and physical activity and ageing research. PEDro, the internationally renowned Physiotherapy Evidence Database, is produced by researchers in our MHS group. We currently have around 16 PhD students, 7 of these having travelled from other parts of the world to study with us. We offer a dynamic and supportive environment ensuring that research is conducted to the highest standards. Past PhD students have published their findings in the leading journals in the field including the New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet and JAMA. The findings of our PhD students have impacted clinical practice guidelines and changed the way musculoskeletal disease is managed in Australia. In addition, PhD students have benefitted from the active collaborations the group has with a wide range of multidisciplinary clinicians, researchers, and policy makers in Australia and internationally.
- The scholarship is offered subject to the applicant having an unconditional offer of admission or being currently enrolled in a Research Masters or PhD in the School of Public Health at the University of Sydney.
- Applicants must hold graduate qualifications (honours or equivalent) in a health related field from an approved Australian or overseas University.
- Applicant's research proposals must relate to the promotion of musculoskeletal health and/or physical activity across the lifespan through healthy lifestyles and equitable access to patient centred, evidence-based and cost-effective health services.
- Applicant's primary supervisor must be a part of the Musculoskeletal Health Sydney academic research group.
- This scholarship is open to Australian Citizens, Australian Permanent Residents, New Zealand Citizens, and International Students.
- Experience in clinical research is desirable.
Value & Duration:
- The successful applicant enrolled full time will be provided with a stipend allowance of $26, 682 per annum for up to three years for a PhD or two years for a Research Masters, subject to satisfactory academic performance.
- The scholarship will be indexed annually on 1 January each year at a rate equivalent to the indexation on the Australian Government's Research Training Program Stipend Scholarship.
- If the successful applicant is studying part-time, the scholarship will be paid at 50% of the full-time rate.
Further Information: Terms and Conditions
Open Date: APPLY NOW
Close Date: 10 November 2017