The House Call Doctor Futures in Health Indigenous Scholarship recognises the immense contributions of Indigenous Australians throughout all sectors of society. However, the scholarship also acknowledges that Indigenous health professionals remain too few, numbering an estimated 0.3% of the national healthcare workforce. House Call Doctor, believes that healthcare professionals should reflect the diversity of patients they care for.
Healthcare professionals from diverse backgrounds offer unique perspectives that enable the medical workforce to be more understanding and responsive to patient needs, both on an individual and community level.
The House Call Doctor Futures in Health Indigenous Scholarship is for $5,000 and will be awarded to an eligible Indigenous student, with these funds contributing to their tuition fees and personal learning expenses.
Applicants should have demonstrated exceptional academic performance, but also displayed a commitment to their local community and personal development.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for The House Call Doctor Futures in Health Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- 18 years of age or older
- Identify as Aboriginal and/ or Torres Strait Islander
- Be an undergraduate or postgraduate student studying a health / medical field at an Australian university
- Be entering at least the 2nd year of study in 2019
- Be able to provide written documentation where required, such as a Statutory Declaration or other supporting documents.
What is the selection criteria?
The House Call Doctor Futures in Health Scholarship will be awarded to an Indigenous student who has displayed academic excellence, along with a personal commitment to their community and personal development. To satisfy the selection criteria, every applicant must complete an Application Form and answer the questions outlined.
The House Call Doctor Futures in Health Scholarship will be awarded by an in-house Selection Committee, which maintains absolute discretion over this process and outcome. The Selection Committee will be comprised of (but not limited to) the House Call Doctor CEO, Chairman, Medical Directory and other external advisers. The decision of this Selection Committee is final and further correspondence will not be entered into. Students will be asked to answer the following:
- Please outline your academic or career achievements to date. You may also wish to describe your future academic and career aspirations.
- Please describe your involvement in community events, organisations or campaigns. You may also wish to highlight leadership roles that you have taken on within your community.
- Please describe how The House Call Doctor Futures in Health Scholarship will impact your studies, or assist with your future career goals and aspirations.
How to apply