The JB Fairfax Award for Rural and Regional Journalism is a prestigious national award that encourages and supports a young university student who is passionate about pursuing a career as a rural or regional journalist upon graduation. The Award was established through a private donation from Mr John B Fairfax AO.
This Award is an outstanding opportunity for a budding journalist to gain a diverse range of practical experience at the coalface of rural and regional reporting, with three relevant internships that will provide a launch pad to a career telling the rich stories from country Australia.
The Award includes a $10,000 cash scholarship along with the following suite of internships providing practical work experience with:
- The Royal Agricultural Society of NSW Media Team at the Sydney Royal Easter Show
- Fairfax Agricultural Media at The Land Newspaper
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) in their Brisbane newsroom
Applicants for the Award must:
- Submit a strong article, blog post, video or audio report of up to 600 words on a topic of your choice relating to Australian agriculture. Please include a minimum of three sources including one primary producer. The piece must be original and not previously published or broadcast.
- Be enrolled to study in any undergraduate or postgraduate degree of relevance at an approved Australian education provider.
- Demonstrate an active interest in rural and regional affairs and in pursuing a career in journalism upon graduation.
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Be aged 30 years or under.
Applications for the 2019 JB Fairfax Award for Rural and Regional Journalism are now closed.